Font Question...

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Jan 9 11:16:42 CST 2004

ckotting at wideopenwest.com wrote:
> Looking at the documentation on using TrueType fonts in Wine
> at:
>
> http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-user/config-fonts-main#
> TTFONT-SERVER
>
> It indicates that the xfsft package is required, and gives a
> link to the author's page.  However, looking at that page,
> the author indicates that xfsft is obsolete, and all it's
> features are integrated into the main branch of XFree86.
>
> So here's the question:  Is wine still dependent on xfsft
> package, or is the documentation out of date?

The documentation could use a bit of work. I notice that it says:
"However, there is a possibility of the native TrueType support via
FreeType renderer in the future". Well, that has been implemented for
about two years now!

If you just stick the TrueType fonts into your windows/Fonts directory
of your Wine C: drive, then Wine will directly render them just fine. No
font server required.