Windows programs with hardware and special drivers

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Jan 23 09:10:27 CST 2004

Hi,
   Just a question. Can Wine run today, or will Wine ever be able to run, a
Windows program that comes with a specific piece of audio hardware and
supplies it's own driver for controlling that hardware?

   I'm upgrading a piece of audio equipment that used to be a PCI device but
has become a 1394 device. Would my Windows software have any chance of
installing it's driver under Wine and have it share the Linux-1394 drivers?
Under Windows this driver is able to share a 1394 adapter with other
applications and with Windows itself, so it appears to be fairly well
behaved.

   I understand that Wine may not support 1394 today. I don't know. I'm
really just asking for the future.

Thanks,
Mark