Windows programs with hardware and special drivers

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Sat Jan 24 09:14:14 CST 2004

Hi Shachar

> Hi Mark,
>
> I'm not sure I understood your question correctly.

Fair enough! I'm not sure if this driver is considered a 'hardware driver'.
Let me know.

There is a piece of audio equipment I've just ordered for my Windows XP
studio environment shown here:

http://www.digidesign.com/products/digi002rack/

Probably the important thing for you to know (I think!) About this piece of
hardware is that it is a 1394 device. In a Windows environment you just
attach it to any 1394 interface and use it. So as far as I know the Windows
interface is their standard 1394 set of low level drivers. The 002 sits
above that.

This piece of hardware comes with two pieces of software (that I know of)

1) The Pro Tool LE application. (PTLE) I assume today that whether this runs
under Wine would be a standard Wine deal. Install it if the installer works.
Deal with configuration. Maybe move dlls and the like over from the Windows
side. All of that I understand. (Conceptually. I don't do it so well!)

2) An '002 driver' that allows the PTLE app to talk to the hardware through
the standard Windows 1394 driver stack.

So, the hardware *inside* the box is standard 1394 hardware. If Wine has
begun to talk to Linux-1394 then that's the first step, but beyond that
there is what I would call the 'DigiDesign 002 Protocol Driver' that's
required to actually make it work.

What are your thoughts? If you need more info let me know.