VxD support in wine

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Mon Jan 26 11:15:29 CST 2004

Hi,

I'd like to run an app using a dongle accessed by the Sentinel security software. I
already managed to install the Sentinel driver, but the respective app does not find the
security key. Since VxD would work in kernel space and drivers are not supported by wine
anyway, that's no big surprise. But there seem to be efforts to circumvent the problem,
under

http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/08/0077.html

there is a suggestion how to do it.

Even some code seems to be written already, see

http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-cvs/2002/11/0183.html
http://cvs.winehq.com/cvsweb/~checkout~/wine/dlls/kernel/vxd.c?rev=1.6&content-type=text/plain

So my question is whether there is an implementation of VxD in wine and if that is so, how
do I manage to get VxD stuff work? If not, are there any patches to the standard wine
package?
If I start my app, I get the following

fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x7800ceaa,1) - no error checking or testing yet
fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x10005180,1) - no error checking or testing yet
fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub
fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD RNBODRV0.
Try setting Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD RNBODRV0.
Try setting Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit system modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.

Any hints are welcome!

Many thanks,  Nick.