[Wine]Running Wine

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Fri Jul 2 06:32:02 CDT 2004

xavier mas i ramon wrote:

>		Dear list,
>
>	I would like to know why can't execute any application from my wine
>installation: I have installed wine-20040408-mdk.i586.rpm on Mandrake10
>Community. Each time I want to run a program, it starts but can not continue
>(Opera7 for Windows gets hanged up looking for the internet page, for
>instance). What am I doing wrong?
>
>	Also, I don't know if I need to install Microft Office 2000 on Linux in order
>to execute it.
>
>	Can somebody help me on that?

May I ask why you are trying to run Opera for Windows using Wine? There
is an Opera for Linux.

I don't use MS Office under Linux (OpenOffice.org is a good substitute),
but the overwhelming likelihood is that you do need to install it under
Linux to run it with Wine; you might want to consider Crossover Office
(a commercial version of Wine specifically for applications like MS
Office, Lotus Notes, etc), if you absolutely must run MS Office for some
reason. Check www.codeweavers.com for more information.

If there are other applications you can't run, please try running
wine<program_name> from a terminal and post the error message you get.
There's no way we can psychically divine what is going on with your system.

Holly