[Wine]Re: cannot run Wine

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Fri Jul 2 20:30:48 CDT 2004

bea.gr wrote:

>First of all..
>thanks for all the replies , I'm not alone in the dark...
>then ..
>It seems that it's not a problem of permission on the directory fake-windows :
>"chmod 700 /home/bea.gr/.wine/fake-windows" change absoluty nothing
>and my wine config are correct (it seems to be)
>The problem is in the symlinks in the directory .wine/dosdevices/
>before the change I made, two symlinks were wrong and seems to go to nowhere
>(as I tried in the shell and kde):
>
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 bea.gr   users          29 2004-06-19 07:33 c: -> ../
>${HOME}/.wine/fake_windows
>
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 bea.gr   users          10 2004-06-19 07:33 y: -> ../${HOME}
>
>then I recreated the links :
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           32 2004-07-02 23:31 c: -> /home/
>bea.gr/.wine/fake_windows/
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 2004-07-02 23:34 y: -> /home/
>bea.gr/
>
>and it works now with no such that message anymore :
>"Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not
>accessible"....
>I can launch "wine notepad" without problems
>???? a reason for this ?
>
>Bea.gr
>thanks a lot 8-)

Well, the only thing that's different is that instead of using the
variable ${HOME}, you're now using the full path to the home directory.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that changing that fixed it, as in a year of
using Wine, I have never known that variable to actually work properly.
I thought it was just me.

Glad you got it fixed.

Holly