[Wine]Help needed with config errors

John McKee jmmckee at flinthills.com
Sat Jul 3 22:15:10 CDT 2004

I installed wine-20040615 from RPM, after uninstalling an older version.

When I tried a wine function, a number of conversions were performed
automatically.

I needed to copy some DLLs from a win95 box to make some apps function.
After copying and modifying .wine/config to use to native,builtin for
these DLLS, the apps worked.

Couple of errors remain, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Here is first problem:

err:wave:OSS_WaveOutInit /dev/mixer1: No such device
err:wave:OSS_WaveInInit /dev/mixer1: No such device

That leads, I believe, to the following error:
fixme:mci:MCI_LoadMciDriver Couldn't load driver for type MUSIC.
If you don't have a windows installation accessible from Wine,
you perhaps forgot to create a [mci] section in system.ini
fixme:mci:MCI_LoadMciDriver Couldn't load driver for type MPEG.

I looked at the docs, but may have missed it.  How do I address these
errors?

Now, some general questions:

I loaded an app that puts an item in the system tray.  Right now, I am
not even seeing much of the original RedHat 9 toolbar on the bottom.
Large parts are just blacked out.

Also, is it possible to create a launcher in Linux that uses the BMP
that would normally be seen when a shortcut is made in a real Windows
system?

Lastly, at some point in the future, when wine has more complete support
for DLLs, such as ole32, how will I know to update .wine/config - or
will a future upgrade be able to upgrade .wine/config as it managed to
deal with drive mappings?

Thanks.

John McKee