[Wine]DVD Lab Runs only in 20040408 and Causes Crash in latest CVS Tree

Dan McGhee farmerdan at i-rule.net
Mon Jul 5 14:09:22 CDT 2004

I've been trying to install and run DVD Lab 1.3.1, a DVD authoring
software, in wine.  A thirty day trial of this software is available at

 http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/history.html

It's interface includes a "thumbnail" of the current project and also a
preview of it.  You can play the preview like a movie.  So far these two
functions are available onlly in wine-20040408.  In any subsequent
version the screens are blank--dark.

Today I downloaded the latest from CVS and when I tried to open the
"File" menu, wine crashed with the following message:

$ fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub
fixme:accel:CreateAcceleratorTableA should check that the accelerator
descriptions are valid, return NULL and SetLastError() if not.
fixme:menu:TrackPopupMenuEx not fully implemented
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 4098
(SPI_GETMENUANIMATION)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 4099
(SPI_SETMENUANIMATION)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 4132
(SPI_GETDROPSHADOW)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 4133
(SPI_SETDROPSHADOW)
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  225478

I have seen the statements up to but not including "X Error...." before
and have, with varied success, been able to eliminate them by
"fiddling" with the dll's.

I have "googled," gone to Frank's page and posted on various forums.  It
seems that the situation with DVD Lab is fairly undocumented.  I'm new
enough to wine that I'm not confident that I'm doing everything right
and don't want to submit a bug report just yet.  I have screen shots,
command lines, and now a crash report.

I'm asking if anyone has had experience with DVD Lab or other video type
software--I understand that MediaStudioPro works in wine, but there are
no hints in the db--and what was done to get it to work.  Failing this,
would it be better to post to the wine-developers list or file a bug report.

Thanks
Dan