[Wine]Can't install Dreamweaver MX

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Fri Jul 9 08:21:27 CDT 2004

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:34:05 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Sorry, Mike, I was lumping you guys in with Transgaming and Cedega (who
> I'm pretty sure paid for some InstallShield something, as they seem to
> be quite vocal about having licensed code that allows installers and
> copy protection programs to work), but maybe even they didn't buy any
> license from InstallShield specifically.

TransGaming licensed some copy protection code. Unfortunately there is
nothing InstallShield could give us to make it work - the code we need is
controlled by Microsoft, not InstallShield :(

> In any case, thanks for the clarification-- as you might be aware, it's
> very difficult for a pure user to follow all the complexities of what
> each type of Wine variant has done to enable certain features and
> abilities, except in the most vague and general way-- information of
> even a "PR-level" nature is pretty sparse. Which is why it's so
> difficult to troubleshoot any problems, even for the clever among us, if
> we aren't coders.

Yes, I understand this. I really wish we were better at communicating this
sort of thing but there's so much information it's hard to know where to
begin.

I maintain a mini FAQ here: http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~mh/wine-faq.html
linked to from the #winehq channel, which tends to contain more practical
advice than what's on winehq.com, maybe it can prove useful.

If you have *any* feedback on how the developers can communicate with the
user base better, let's hear them! What sort of things do you want to
know?

If it's just a matter of understanding all the different variants, I guess
we could prepare a chart to give a rough idea of the capabilities of each
or something. But I'm really not sure what people want.

thanks -mike