[Wine]Speed of wine programs, Autocad 2000, Simcity 4

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sun Jul 11 12:26:12 CDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 10:28 -0400, JLB wrote:
> Not normal, maybe... but this is a ___MAJOR___ ___HUGE___ issue. For every
> stupid thing like this that happens, the Winvocates will have another
> occasion to shout "HA HA LUNIX SUXXX U CANT USE IT 4 TEH GAMEZ"...
>
> This is the sort of "QA" issue that should be a TOP priority for the WINE
> team, IMHO. Games are one of THE biggest issues keeping Linux and other
> non-Microsoft systems from the mainstream-- if not THE biggest issue...

To be frank Jessica, I think we're years away from competing with
Windows on the home user desktop. I wish that weren't the case, but
here's a brief laundry list of problems:

- App/game compat. Obviously you understand this one well enough :)
- Hardware/driver support
- Plug'n'play/hardware integration: project utopia is supposedly going
  to fix this soon enough
- Ease of use in areas like software installation
- Multimedia codec licensing
- Web site/IE compatibility

None of these problems are trivial or easy to solve. It's not just a
matter of QA, it's usually one of solving extremely intricate technical
challenges.

FWIW The closest Wine has to a QA team is CodeWeavers, and this is a
company of 10-12 people we're talking about.

Now, the corporate desktop, that is a lot closer and more to the point
has a lot more funding behind it. That has to come first. The desktops
of the l33t gamerz will probably come last. Sucks, but there you go.

thanks -mike