[Wine]Can't install Dreamweaver MX - SOLVED

Angela Burrell angela at jobsearchnetwork.ca
Mon Jul 12 08:17:03 CDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: wine-users-admin at winehq.org [mailto:wine-users-admin at winehq.org]On
Behalf Of Mike Hearn
Sent: July 8, 2004 6:18 PM
To: wine-users at winehq.com
Subject: RE: [Wine]Can't install Dreamweaver MX

> You're probably using a real Windows drive as your c: drive, yes?

Yes. It's a leftover partition from when the PC had Windows on it. (Now it
doesn't have the OS, just Linux Mandrake 9.2). The errors are there even
though the VFAT "quiet" flag is set. I kinda thought those messages were
warnings, anyway :-)

>> 2. --> fixme:seh:check_resource_write Broken app is writing to the
>> resource data, enabling work-around

> We "fixed" this in the latest Wine.

Unfortunately, I can't install the latest Wine:
$ ./configure
[bunch of messages]
configure: error: you need to install the static version of glibc to build
Wine.

I googled this and found on a SuSe mailing list archive, that apparently
only one distro even ships with static glibc and I don't even know where I
would get it (neither did the mailing list people).

So I used an earlier version that did work. (20040505).

>> While the dialog box just says "An installation support file 'C:\Program
>> Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\intel 32\corecomp.ini' could
>> not be installed.(0x80070002)" [OK]

> Try this:
>
> killall -9 wine-preloader wine-pthread wine-kthread
> wineserver -k
> rm -rf ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/InstallShield

> Then try running it again.

Does this apply even if the machine is cold-booted? I shut down my machine
every single night, and the error has appeared since I started trying to do
this (about 3 or 4 weeks now).

1. $ killall -9 wine-preloader wine-pthread wine-kthread
wine-preloader: no process killed
wine-pthread: no process killed
wine-kthread: no process killed
[ I guess because I hadn't run Wine yet ]

2. $ wineserver -k [ returns command prompt]

3. There is no Program Files/InstallShield directory, I only have Common
Files, Common FilesREE8, and MACROMEDIA [!] directories in there. So I
deleted Program Files/Common Files/InstallShield instead:
$ rm -rf Common\ Files/InstallShield
$ cd /mnt/cdrom/Dreamweaver\ MX
$ wine Dreamweaver\ Installer\ MX.exe
[Does what it used to do: launches Wine, but when you get to where the error
message was: ]

"Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for Dreamweaver MX. The InstallShield
Wizard will install Dreamweaver MX on your computer. To continue, click
Next." [I almost fell off my chair! this is very exciting after weeks of
frustration :) ]

The wizard appears to be working as it should, it even asked for and
validated my serial number.

Well it seems to be installing now, thank you very much Mike and others for
your help and support!

Sincere regards,

Angela