[Wine]Problem

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Thu Jul 15 07:03:53 CDT 2004

Am Don, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:45:42 +0530 schrieb Kuldeep Singh Tomar:
> Thanks for the response. New windows is working fine for me. But combo
> box are still not working. How have you installed IE. I had used Frank
> Corner method given on gentoo site .

Can you give me the exact position of the instructions you really
followed?

> Please let me know if you have used any other method for installation of
> IE on linux.

- move your .wine directory away
- type "wine" once on the command line
- make a copy of .wine/config
- edit .wine/config with you beloved editor (yes, I use the mc for everything that should be quick):
- change [Version]:
[Version]
; Windows version to imitate (win95,win98,winme,nt351,nt40,win2k,winxp,win2k3,wi
"Windows" = "win98"
; DOS version to imitate
"DOS" = "6.22"

- delete the ';' before the following lines in [wine]:
"ShowDirSymlinks" = "1"
"ShowDotFiles" = "1"

- change [DLLOverrides]:
[DllOverrides]
"mshtml" = "native"
"*comctl32" = "builtin"
"msi" = "native"
"mapi" = "native, builtin"
"mapi32" = "native, builtin"
; Native dlls needed for various parts of the install
"ole32" = "native, builtin"
"compobj" = "native, builtin"
"ole2" = "native, builtin"
"ole2nls" = "native, builtin"
"ole2conv" = "native, builtin"
"ole2prox" = "native, builtin"
"ole2thk" = "native, builtin"
"storage" = "native, builtin"
"olepro32" = "native, builtin"
"rpcrt4" = "native, builtin"
"oleaut32" = "native, builtin"
"msvcrt" = "native, builtin"
"wininet" = "native, builtin"
"setupapi" = "native, builtin"
"devenum" = "native, builtin"
"quartz" = "native, builtin"
"urlmon" = "native"
"shdocvw" = "native, builtin"
"jscript" = "native, builtin"
"wintrust" = "native, builtin"
"shlwapi" = "native, builtin"
"secur32" = "native, builtin"
"crypt32" = "native, builtin"
"ddraw" = "native, builtin"
; allow launching user.exe (for Remedy)
"*user.exe" = "native,builtin"
; you can specify applications too
; this one will apply for all notepad.exe
;"*notepad.exe" = "native, builtin"
; this one will apply only for a particular file
;"C:\\windows\\regedit.exe" = "native, builtin"
; default for all other dlls
"*" = "builtin, native"

- download dcom98.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/download.asp
- run the following on the command line; it should just work out of the box without errors:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32=n" wine dcom98.exe
- download ie6setup.exe in your preferred language from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en
- run "wine ie6setup.exe" from the command line (note that you need to be online by this time)
- choose minimal/custom install and pick everything you want except for any fonts (very important), the Internet Assistant, Outlook Express, Macromedia Flash and the Language Packs
During installation you might get an error message that WINDOWS.HLP can not be found. Just click OK. Also you might get the error message "AddCRL failed". Also click OK. When the installation is at 84% it seems to hang but it does not. Just be patient.
- run "wine wineboot"
you'll get a few error messages and a message box complaining about an *.ocx file that is not loadble. Just click OK and it will be fine.
- you can start the IE6 now with
wine "c:\\program files\\internet explorer\\iexplore.EXE"

          Never run a touchy system!!!"