[Wine]Re: wine does not return prompt (freezes?)

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Thu Jul 15 15:19:20 CDT 2004

+----[ To Wine Users <fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar> (14.Jul.2004 21:16):

| Hi!
|
| I'm a new wine user. I've installed wine-20040808 on
| FreeBSD-4.10p2 from a package.

[snipped]

| ... and then following what winetools does, I
| tried to install a font (andale32.exe) or dcom98.exe.
|
| In any case, and always starting from a clean ~/.wine dir
| (clean in the sense of newly made and populated, not in the
| sense of being empty) wine apparently does finish the
| install (a window appears telling me that the installation
| was successful) but it does not return (i.e. i don't get a
| new shell prompt). And yes, I dismiss the window.

[snipped]

+----]

I solved it by compiling wine (20040505) from source, using
the FreeBSD port.

Now I was able to install all the fonts and dcom98.

But more importantly, I needed to run a custom application,
apparently written in Visual Fox Pro. I had to copy a few
DLLs from a Win95 installation and change the windows
version to "nt40" but I got it working, thanks
to an excellent tutorial by Paul McNett:
http://www.openfox.org/wc.dll/sections/divulge/36

I'm now testing the installation of other apps (Acrobat
reader and IE6).

Seems like I'm just there.

Thanks to those who replied,

Fernan

Fernan Aguero -  fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Phone: +54 11 4580-7255/7 ext 310, Fax: +54 11 4752-9639
Check http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan for more info.