[Wine]Can't load X dll...

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Jul 21 01:44:02 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 16:23, Stefan Munz wrote:
> <snip>

> > > just copy the (exported) windows registry file to your fake_win dir,
> > > start regedit ("wine regedit") and import it. maybe a "reboot" of wine
> > > is needed ("wineboot").
> >
> > Hmm, okay, here's the situation.  The registry file I needed to import is
> > in /windows/windows, which is a complete copy of the windows directory
> > and all its subs from the other machine.  I'm assuming, perhaps
> > incorrectly, that using the regedit in the source-code "programs/regedit"
> > dir will edit the registry that's in my ~/.wine directory, am I correct?
> > So, I went to /windows/windows, ran "wine ./regedit" and exported the
> > registry to a file I called windows_dir.reg in my home dir.  Then I went
> > ~/wine/programs/regedit, ran the regedit there and imported the file.
> > Did I do this right?
>
> I don't know wether there exists the possibility to "export" a windows
> registry this way. The only way I already used is, starting the windows
> system, running regedit in windows, export the (complete) registry there,
> then reboot and import it using "wine regedit".

This machine is not bootable in windows.  The windows-native directory that's
on it was copied over from another machine.  But see below.

> As far as I know, "wine regedit"  always operates on the registry in the
> wine environment, never in real windows-dir. Maybe you can alter this
> behaviour by specifying the real windows dir in your wine config file
> (therefore you should set "/windows" as your drive c, c:\\windows as
> win-dir and c:\\windows \\system as win-system-dir). But I never tested
> this and would not use it unless a complete backup of the windows drive
> exists.

Actually, the "real windows-dir" IS my win-dir in my wine.conf, the /windows
directory already is my C drive, and so on.  So if I'm reading this
correctly, wine picks up its registry from whatever is configured as the
wine-dir in wine.conf rather than defaulting to the registry files in my
~/.wine directory?

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur