[Wine]Re: wine seti@home team

Tom Williams tomdkat at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 22:06:40 CDT 2004

Ivan wrote:

>Microsoft probably has unix CPUs running seti, and I see no point in running it
>on wine, it would just be slower.
>The unix client is much better. The point is if M$ have a seti team we must have
>one too. The Linux team is way ahead of M$ so don't worry about being redundant.
>
>Ivan.

I might be mistaken but I heard a few years ago there was a roughly 10%
"penalty" for running the SETI @Home client on Unix/Linux since the
executable isn't compiled optimized like the Windows client is and the
person who said this ran the SETI client via wine on Linux (I think) vs
running it natively.  I'm not sure if this is true or not but thought I
would mention it.  :)

I'm in the process of joining the team now.  :)

Peace...

Tom