[Wine]seti@home (stats got BOINC'd)

eternal eternal at antelecom.net
Wed Jul 21 13:08:31 CDT 2004

excerpted from: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/transition.php

We have released a new version of SETI at home based on BOINC, a
general-purpose platform for distributed computing projects. We
encourage you to switch to the new SETI at home. If you have problems with
the new version, you can uninstall it and reinstall the old 'Classic'
version of SETI at home. The schedule is:

     1. On 14 May 2004 we made a 'snapshot' of SETI at home Classic user
        information (accounts, teams, profiles) and used it to
        initialize the new SETI at home database.
     2. On June 22 2004 we made SETI at home/BOINC available for general
        use. There will be a 'transition period' during which you can
        run either SETI at home Classic or SETI at home/BOINC. During this
        transition period, SETI at home Classic accounts and team changes
        can be made, but they will not be carried over.
     3. Once SETI at home/BOINC is running smoothly and versions are
        available for most platforms, we will turn off the data server
        for SETI at home Classic. At this point you will need to switch to
        SETI at home/BOINC.

What will happen to my workunit totals?
BOINC projects can have workunits of many different lengths, so BOINC
keeps track of your computer's work in terms of actual computation
performed rather than number of workunits.

Because of this change, SETI at home accounts will have separate old and
new work totals. The old total is the workunit total from the current
SETI at home. It won't change, and a section of our web site will show the
final leaderboards based on old work totals. New work unit totals will
start from zero.