[Wine]USB?

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Sun Jul 25 22:20:29 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 05:00:13PM -0400, Alex Zeiger wrote:

> >Well, what's the hardware and where is the software?
> >

> Sorry. It's www.usb-instruments.com (specifically
> www.usb-instruments.com/hardware-ds2200.html).
>
> I once emailed them about a Linux port. They said they were open to the
> possibility, but no immediate plans were in the works. They do make a
> point of publishing the software interfaces for their products. A DLL
> for the scope's interface is available
> (http://www.usb-instruments.com/interfacing.html). The user-end software
> is also freely available for download from their site. Would that be
> adequate for Wine?

You could build a winelib application around the DLL, or try to run the
Windows application under Wine.  I'm not sure how Wine works with
respect to enumerating USB devices and making them available to user
code though.  Also, you'd probably need a loadable device driver anyway
so you can do DeviceIoctl on it, if it's not a generic USB class device.

I would bug them about a hardware interface though.  There's no reason
that I see (besides laziness on their part to publish the information)
that one should be tied to a particular platform to use a generic tool
like a scope.  I wanted to buy one of their logic analyzers, but as soon
as I saw that their support to 3rd-party developers consists of a
closed-source library, I backed out.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>