[Wine]regedit not working

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at pitt.edu
Fri Jul 30 14:48:41 CDT 2004

I tried all of the suggestions. Upgrading gives the same error. Changing
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH helps, but now it just tells me 'winedefaults.reg'
is not found. It appears I don't have a'winedefault.reg'.
Anywhere. I sort of thought running regedit would create. How do I get it?

BTW, the distro is Gentoo and I'm using a Gentoo package (ebuild).

SFK

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 at 5:21pm, the following was brought forth by Stefan Munz:

> Am Freitag, 30. Juli 2004 18:27 schrieb Scott F. Kiesling:
> > I just starting using wine; I mostly need it to run Excel, which is what I
> > run when I get this warning:
> >
> > ERROR: You need to merge the 'winedefault.reg' file into your
> >        Wine registry by running: `regedit winedefault.reg'
> >
> > Excel starts and seems to run OK, apart from not being able to save, which
> > is another problem for another post.
> >
> > OK, so I do as I am told, and then get the following error:
> >
> > /usr/lib/wine/bin/wine: error while loading shared libraries:
> > libwine.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > I have libwine.so.1; do I need to change its permissions or something?
>
> as far as I know you get this error if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set correctly.
> try running wine with:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/whereYouInstalledWINE/lib wine regedit
>
> then it should work. but I'm confused, that wine can start excel when you get
> the above error running regedit :-?

Scott F. Kiesling

Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh

2816 Cathedral of Learning     Phone: 1-412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15217 USA       Fax: 1-412-624-6130

kiesling at pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html
http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu