[Wine]starcraft fails right at the end of the install

Michael Chang michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Sat Jul 31 16:01:03 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:25:24PM +0000, cedric wrote:

[snip - regards wine and shortcuts]

> When in windows a program can acces them, in wine it should too. Correct me if
> i'm wrong, but we're not creating the perfect windows here, but a
> bug-compitible one.

Pardon?  Wine was, in my understanding, a program (originally for linux)
to run Windows programs.  In Windows, shortcuts are merely data files
for the Windows OS's explorer and it's shell dlls to interpret as a sort
of soft link to a program.  (Except it doesn't always work, if the
program doesn't resolve the link, causing it to be only useful to
execute things on Windows.)  Would it make sence for wine to resolve
shortcuts?  I agree with you here in part, but I would assume that a
hard or soft link, or a shell script, is a better idea -- it is, after
all, the Linux equivilant of a Windows shortcut.  Still, for
linux/windows integration, that is a good point.  Mind, short of
actually copying the link resolutions to your GUI's internal menu --
that would require wine knowing what kind of window manager you use, and
making sure that doesn't change or that the shortcuts are moved if you
change window managers.

Remind me, are the CD-Rom mounts reported to wine and apps under it as a
CD-Rom drive, or as a network/hard drive?  That would be one thing to
prevent the CD from being recognized.  Also, there's standard
anti-copying software included on these CDs, if Linux can't decode them,
you'd have to find a way to run the Windows version under wine, right?

[snip]

> I tried to launch it from the Program files, /mnt/cdrom , and the dosdevice,
> no difference. (which is good, it shouldn't make any difference)

Hmm... you sure you've been talking about the right executables as in
the Windows version?  *IF* you have a windows install to look at, try
looking at the shortcut that actually points to SC - maybe it should
have a certain working directory, or certain arguments on it.  And then
there's also always the issue of DirectX implementations on Wine,
another issue in itself.

> I have however been able to upgrade it to broodwar. Still refused to run, but
> still nice it worked. I guess i'm only a no-cd patch away from sc on linux

Probably.  Good luck.

-Michael

P.S.  Have you looked at those wine compatability lists for SC?  Maybe
there are special instructions regarding SC on Wine on Linux.