Problem with CloneCD :-)

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Mon Jun 14 03:27:36 CDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 08:45:06PM -1000, David Jones wrote:
> >- the registry is opened and ImagePath is read (OK)
> >- then StartServiceA is called -> StartServiceW -> ... ->
> >ExpandEnvironmentStringsW and the ImageValue is passed back (OK)
> >- now StartServiceW tries to start the service
> >'System32\\Drivers\\ElbyCDIO.sys' (WRONG)
> >
> >I don't know the windows behaviour but I suspect that we should try to
> >start the service as %WINDIR%\\<the ImagePath value>
> >
> >I'm running the 'wine CloneCD.exe' from the installation path of CloneCD.
> >
> >I'm facing more problems than this one, and probably will never use
> >CloneCD on Linux but the behaviour is not correct in my opinion.
> >
> >Any ideas/remarks ?
>
> It's trying to use a Windows-specific hardware driver, a VxD. Those
> cannot work under WINE because they're trying to talk directly with the
> hardware, which the Linux OS doesn't allow. Considering the many times
> I've had Windows crash because of flakey device drivers (even WindowsXP
> Pro!), I happen to agree with the way Linux treats Windows.

I might add here that I contacted ElBy about this issue about a year ago
(that their program depends on some proprietary driver to operate
which foils WINE, and requesting an API reference for it, so a
WINE-version could be implemented), and I got a rather snide reply
regarding my use of non-supported operating systems, So don't expect any
help from them.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>