ALSA and an intel i8x0/SiS SI7012 sound card

Michael Graham oobermick at
Tue Mar 16 13:15:57 CST 2004

Henk wrote:
> Hmm, I don't have a 'solution', but I use the aRts sound deamon on
> this
> machine, also has SiS7012 on-boards sound, and it just works with
> Wine. aRts
> itself plugs in to ALSA.

I did try this, and it works, but with a lot of lag. And when I start
wine it says:

This sound card's driver does not support direct access
The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.

I remember having this work OK in the past (I'm not sure of the version
of wine or of the versions of ALSA and aRts) but this is not longer the

I suppose I'll just have to wait until the ALSA modules/drivers get

Thanks for the help, and when/if I get it working I'll be sure to mail
the list.

VI VI VI The editor of the beast.