wordfast, word 2000, + wine

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Fri Mar 26 02:57:18 CST 2004

Am Don, Mär 25, 2004 at 10:52:12 +0100 schrieb Anze Slosar:
> > this! What is the output? Does it complain about missing DLLs? Did you
> > install DCOM98? What else is installed in your Wine drive? Did you
> > install IE6? What version of wine are you using? Did you try different
>
> Huh. I insatlled wine wine-20040309 and nothing else. When installing
> office (2000 sr1)I followed someone else's instructions and insatlled
> minimal IE componenets only, and then word, power point, excel and tools
> minus assistants.
>
> Do I need to install IE6?  I thought IE doesn't work under wine or am I

IE6 works very nice with Wine and there are many programs that depend on
it or on one of the Windows libraries that come with it (because IE6 is
more a Windows update than just a browser...).

> wrong?  Or is it all about libraries? Sorry for stupidity, but what is
> DCOM98?

DCOM is the M$ implementation of the "Distributed Component Object
Model" architecture: DCOM is a Protocol that enables software components
to communicate directly over a network in a reliable, secure, and
efficient manner. Previously called OLE, DCOM is designed for use across
multiple network transports, including Internet Protocols such as HTTP.
DCOM is based on DCE RPC and COM.

It is extremely important for Windows software and should alway be
installed under Wine.

> > 2. I tried it on my system with wine-20031212, IE6, Office 2K SR1 and it
> > works very nice. Now I have to think how to remove it :-)
>
> you just delete wordfast.dot from Office/startup

Yes, I already found it out. Thanks.

> > 3. Here is my normal advice: Use wine-20031212 or the 200403xx, not the
> > ones in between. Install IE6 first with method three from Frank`s
> > Corner. Install Office2k and SR1 for it. Than try again!
>
> Ok, will try that.

Do so and have success;-)

Regards
	Joachim