Printing problem; RHEL3U1 (CUPS) with 20031118

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Wed May 5 15:20:06 CDT 2004

On May 3, 2004 11:05 am, Duane Clark wrote:
> Bill Medland wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the continued help, Duane

I don't think there is much you are going to be able to help me with here,
Duane.  Sounds like another basic incompatibility with RedHat Enterprise
Level.

(It happens with current source too, freshly compiled)

> >>Then the next test is that Wine expects to be able to print a postscipt
> >>file via lpr, so the next thing to try is printing a postscript file via
> >>lpr.
> >
> > Yep.  /usr/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps
> >
> >>Hmm, and is printconfgui something other than CUPS, I take it?
> >
> > Sorry; I guess I was being lazy.  No.  RHEL uses CUPS (and they appear to
> > have dropped LPRng so I can't try that which is my usual next step).  By
> > printconfgui I meant redhat-config-printer-gui (which I believe used to
> > be called something like printconfgui or something close back in the old
> > RH6 days)
> >
> >>You might want to post the contents of /etc/printcap, windows/win.ini,
> >>and the sections of ~/.wine/system.reg that begin with:
> >>[System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Print\\Printers

> Hmm, everything there looks fine. I take it the printer does show up in
> the Wine printer dialog as "lp", and you are selecting "lp"?
>
> What happens when you try to print? Does the printer activity light flash?
>
> In general, for remote queues, you should be setting the queue type to
> "raw" regardless of the actual printer type. I don't really know for
> sure whether this is the case for SMB queues, especially since you say
> that you can print Postscript files ok from the command line. It might
> be worth trying a raw queue, assuming the lp one is not.

Basically:
1. If I modify Wine to create a temp file and then print the temp file, rather
than all that file descriptor/pipe/fork stuff, and then print the file in the
close job, it still fails.  However I can print the file using exactly the
same command from the command line.
2. I can print to the printer using the same scheme of pipe/for/dup/system in
a small test program.

I'll add it to the bug log.