Runtime Error - abnormal program termination

Joachim von Thadden j.thadden at
Wed May 5 17:15:46 CDT 2004

Am Mit, Mai 05, 2004 at 10:44:13 +0200 schrieb Lindner:
> Joachim von Thadden wrote:
> >I don't know the program and they don't have a test version for
> >download :-( so I can only suggest some generic ideas:
> >
> >- start with a very new .wine
> >- install dcom98 first
> What is dcom98 and where to get it ? What is the purpose ?

It's a component from windows that allows data exchange of windows
programs. Shortly it's OLE. Get it from here:

To install follow the instructions found here

with method 3!

You might also need to change

; DOS version to imitate
"DOS" = "6.22"

in your .wine/config.

> >- if the program uses Office, you have to install it: I am using
> > Office2000 very successful
> Linux OpenOffice is not enough ?

I think it is, but your program might want to start WinWord or Excel or
a part of that. I don't know your program so I don't know anything about
the requirements.

> If I have to buy it then I didn't win that much.

As I said: It depends on your program. And by the way: If you install
dcom98 and IE6 you need to have at least to have a valid windows 98
license - sorry.

What you win is flexibility, no need to reboot and fun (if it works).

          Never run a touchy system!!!"