wine & win4lin

David Lee Lambert lamber45 at cse.msu.edu
Sun May 9 06:13:36 CDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:22:44PM +0200, Massimo Corinaldesi wrote:

> The installation went good, but wine choosed for c:\ the c:\ directory of
> win4lin located into my home directory.
>
> Is that situation dangerous ?

On my systems,  I point the "C" drive to a VFAT partition owned and writable by the
group "users".  (I also use WIN386.SWP as an extra Linux swap partition and tell
the X font server to gather fonts from /C/WINDOWS/FONTS/.)  This means that a
malicious user could delete files or install trojan-horse programs,  but one takes
the same risk with a shared Win95 system.

Sharing a fake C drive between two instances of Wine run by the same user should not
be a problem.  On the other hand, you could do this even with the same Wine binary;
read about the WINEPREFIX environment variable in the Wine manpage.

> If could be better, as I think, to separate the c:\ directories, how safely do
> it for wine ?

Edit ~/.wine/config and set the paths to whatever you desire.  Use 'mkdir' and
'chmod' to make sure they exist and have suitable permissions.

--
resume at  http://www.cse.msu.edu/~lamber45/resume.htm
PGP key at http://www.cse.msu.edu/~lamber45/newmail.htm#GPGKey