"Faking" a desktop file: an application requires a registration file on the windows desktop

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Tue May 18 03:50:08 CDT 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:52:58 +0930, you wrote:

> I'm attempting to run an application (Reason!Able, from
> www.goreason.com) under wine that requires a registration file be placed
> on the Desktop.
>
> Attempts to solve problem:
> 1.  Google search for previous reports of this phenomenon (search terms:
> wine "create desktop file" | "no desktop" | "desktop file") -- none found.
> 2.  Created "Desktop" subdirectory under fake_windows, copied
> registration file to it -- did not work.
>
> Further thought:
> The program does not appear to run correctly even in trial version, so
> the inability to find the "desktop" registration file may be due to it's
> inherent flakiness under wine, but I don't think so.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts/pointers on how to "fake" a desktop file?

A guess: the program searches the registry for the "Desktop" directory.
On my system the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

contains a subkey "Desktop" pointing to the desktop (eg. C:\Windows\Desktop).
Try adding that to your registry.

If that does not help, run wine like:
WINEDEBUG=+reg wine ...

and try to find the registry entries that your program queries.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl