non-disk scsi device wine passthrough / PASCO Science Workshop

Peter Kovac kovac at gwu.edu
Thu May 20 16:05:58 CDT 2004

Greetings~

    I have a somewhat strange problem.  I have a PASCO Science Workshop
750 interface box which connect via SCSI to an Adaptec (2906) SCSI
card.  The device is basically an interface to various electronic
measuring tools: motion sensors, light sensors, etc.  It comes with a
piece of software called DataStudio which I have installed and running
in Wine, seemingly without a hitch.  The problem is, I seem to be unable
to see the device from within the wine environment -- or at least, I
can't make DataStudio see it.

    The card is set up fine in Linux (tried SuSE 9.1 - kernel 2.6 - and
Knoppix - kernel 2.4) and the PASCO devices shows up properly in
/proc/scsi/scsi.  I installed the sg driver and set a scsi entry in my
.wine/config file ([scsi c0t2d0] "device /dev/sg0") and still no luck.

    So, the question is, is it possible to configure linux/wine to allow
a non-disk scsi device to be seen by an application running in wine?  It
would be great not to have to revert back to windows.  :-(  Has anyone
else tried running DataStudio / PASCO equipment in wine with any
success?  Completely impossible?  Any guidance would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Peter Kovac
    kovac at gwu.edu