Why isn't everyone compiling wine

arifdep at kawanlama.com arifdep at kawanlama.com
Sun May 23 22:54:22 CDT 2004

At first, i'm using the compiling wine, but i change the method and use the
rpm.
first of all, it's much more easier and if something goes wrong, i can just
remove it.

if there's a user guide about how to uninstall the wine, and replace with
the earlier
version ( only to keep operational things work ). i use the wine to run the
Lotus Notes
client. it works fine, but since the 20040319, i can't install the notes
because when i
choose to browse and change the directory to install, i came to 2 sub menu
and
cannot be open.

is there any manual how to uninstall if i use the compile method.

> If you have dependency problems move to debians packaging system called
> apt-get; apt-get has been designed to cover all dependencies (I heard
> there are rpm versions of apt-get available - somewhere out there)
Mandrake has URPMI, it's like apt-get but for RPMs. It's great, very user
friendly, graphical. You just click on an RPM, and if any deps are missing,
it
just pops up a window saying "Insert Linux Mandrake CD x" where x is the
number
of the CD where the missing dependency is, and it just installs everything
for
you. So you just click on a RPM, put in a CD if the system asks you, and
the
software installs in seconds. You can even add a remote source, such as a
FTP
server. It's all GPL so I really don't know why other distros don't use it.

Ivan.

Arifin - IT

PT. Kawan Lama Sejahtera. Jl Puri Kencana No 1, Jakarta,11610 - Indonesia
Ph. +6221-5828282,  Fax.  +6221-5820088, http://www.kawanlama.com
Freecall Kawan Lama  0-800-1-2255-55 (0-800-1-CALL KL)