Unix directories (was Re: Why isn't everyone compiling wine)

Kevin F. Quinn ml at kevquinn.com
Mon May 24 09:57:16 CDT 2004

JLB <jlb at twu.net> wrote:

 > I'll be a bit less polite and a bit more to the point.
 >
 > If Unix systems didn't insist upon scattering files all the hell over
 > /etc, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include,
 > /var/share/mybunghole, /opt/local/stupidlib, etc. etc...

Anyone interested in _why_ un*x systems use this structure, take a look
at the FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) project at
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

A lot of it has to do with managing networks of machines in a
professional environment, which is why it seems pointless to a single
workstation installation for a home user.  However it does help to
understand that there are reasons, even if they're not particularly
relevant to a home desktop.

That's also not to say that packagers get it right, of course...

Kev.