Direct X - Wine 20040213

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Sat May 29 12:20:33 CDT 2004

Ivan wrote:
>>i have tried installing dx7, dx8, and, dx9
>
> You have a wrong idea of wine directx support. You can't install the Microsoft
> version of directx on wine. Wine has it's own directx, that currently are
> incomplete, but already run many games. There is partial support up to directx
> 8, you can try a demo, for example mafia, that uses directx8, it runs very well
> on wine. There isn't any real directx 9 support for now. If you install the
> Microsoft directx the files will just sit on your hard drive, but won't be used
> by wine. If you set wine to use the native version of those files, the games
> that do work with the wine directx will just stop working.
> BTW you can install any directx sdk by unzipping the exe file, for example for
> directx 8a just run
> unzip DX8a_SDK.exe
> and you'll get a directory containing the SDK.
>
> Ivan.

Thanks Ivan. This is consistant with what I learned by reading on the
web. I have an app (Acid Pro) that said it needed DX8 so I tried
installing it under 20040213. It installed fine but just dies after it
starts.

I'm not a developer so I wouldn't know much about figuring out why. I
guess I'll just have to wait until I hear about the next big jump
forward in Direct X support.

Thanks,
Mark