[Wine]Quicken fonts

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Wed Nov 3 12:03:56 CST 2004

Duane Clark wrote:
> Marc Williams wrote:
>
>> I just installed Quicken 2001 using the 0914 version of Wine built
>> from source code on my Fedora Core 2 machine.  I followed the Quicken
>> install instruction #2 on Franks Corner site.  The installation went
>> fine and everything seems to work well.  But some of the fonts are
>> unreadable.
>>
>> Here is a screen shot of what I am referring to (the problem fonts are
>> circled):
>> http://onlymooo.com/Screenshot.png
>>
>> I added the VGASYS.FON, SSERIFE.FON, and SERIFE.FON fonts as described
>> in http://winehq.org/site/docs/wine-user/config-fonts-main with no
>> difference.
>>

> Wine doesn't use .FON files, and I would be surprised if Quicken under
> Windows did either. Instead, try copying over all the .ttf files from a
> Windows installation to Wine. Wine does support TrueType fonts.

What you're saying surprises me because I got that information right out
of the online wine manual in the referenced URL.  But even if you're
right, it doesn't seem to make a difference either way because things
look the same both before and after using those .FON fonts.

> The current version of Wine has a few built in replacements for fonts,
> and perhaps these are too small (it seems like there have been several
> complaints lately). But if external TrueType fonts are found, Wine
> should use those.

It seems as if wine (and Quicken) are already using the TT fonts that
are being served up by my font server.  At least that's the impression I
got from the debug output I ran earlier.  And the screen fonts all look
identical to their real Windows counterparts *except* for those that I
circled.