[Wine]Crossover and Free/Wine

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Fri Nov 5 01:32:20 CST 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 20:11, wine-users-request at winehq.org wrote:
> They include some that work, like Native Instruments
> Battery, and many that don't, like Native Instruments Reaktor,
> Steinberg's Groove Agent, Tascam's GigaStudio, etc.

A bit ambitious, aren't we? Does "Battery" work in a useful manner--that is,
can be used for its intended music production purpose? Just because it does
not crash and the screen looks like it should, this does not mean it really

I have found a handful of MIDI apps that will function, sort of, in Wine.
Something like GigaStudio which needs a machines full processing power, I
simply would not dream of running through an emulater. Most of my sound stuff
simply will not run in Wine and probably should not. I am still stuck in
"native" Windows for this work.

What may be needed (hey, all you geniuses out there!) is a "co-windows" along
the same lines as "co-linux". Or a hot-key switched multiboot system--this is
most likely doable.