[Wine]How to make C drive to point to /usr/share/wine-c

David Lee Lambert lamber45 at cse.msu.edu
Mon Nov 8 00:35:58 CST 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:22:59AM +0100, Gran Uddeborg wrote:
> Holly Bostick writes:
> > That is not necessarily true. Wine is a per-user app; every user has
> > their own Wine Registry, with the list of installed apps for that user.
> >
> > So one user installing App A is not going to tell the Wine Registry of
> > any other user that App A is installed. The other user will have to
> > install the application as well.
>
> How is that handled with in a real Windows environment with networked
> filesystems?  If an application is installed on a file server and made
> available to several machines that way, how are the necessary registry
> entries propagated to any machines using it?  (Apart from the one
> where the installation was made.)

Not all applications run in a "real Windows environent with networked
filesystems".  For instance, Internet Explorer will not install to a
networked drive;  it wants the Windows directory.  A lot of games don't
like being run accross a network, either:  for instance, Civilization II
crashes (under WinME) if I try to run a game saved on a network drive.

Those programs that run well don't actually require the installer to put
very much in the Registry, except possibly under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\<app name> , which is easy enough to copy by
exporting it to a .reg file and then re-importing it as needed (perhaps
with a distributed batch script or in the logon script).  The best
programs (from this standpoint) are those that don't use the Registry or
fixed path-names at all.  However,  it's up to the application developer
to implement the program in a network-friendly way,  and many have chosen
not to do so.

--
David Lee Lambert (also as4109 at wayne.edu)    cell ph# 586-873-8813
PGP key at http://www.cse.msu.edu/~lamber45/newmail.htm#GPGKey