[Wine]help with wine and TOPO!

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 8 12:33:44 CST 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:22:38 -0700, Tom Trebisky wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The subject line is a little ambitious, although that is my ultimate goal,
> to be able to run the National Geographic TOPO! program to look at maps
> of Arizona and California on my laptop using only Linux.  I don't even
> own a copy of Windows, nor do I desire to, so hopefully Wine will be my
> friend.
                    (snipperoo)
Strength to your arm! Please give all the beginnerish hints you can think
of when you get it to run -- and announce triumph here! I want VA & TN,
and prefer both DeLorme and especially Garmin; but I've never yet managed
to get any topo map to run on any linux -- and it's the one thing I miss,
especially for the tie-ins with my GPS. I tried one of the commercial
packages, having heard erroneous scuttlebutt to the effect that it had
been done -- and got no effective help from the vendor, let alone Garmin ...

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!