[Wine]pix in MS Office

Walt Ogburn reuben at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 10 16:49:23 CST 2004

Hi Pat,

Mark is using Crossover Office, which is Not The Same, so it may very well
not be a problem with your system or installation.  I don't have
PowerPoint, so I can't check any of this, but I have a guess about what's
going on.  My guess is that PowerPoint is using oleaut32.dll, "OLE
automation," to load the image.  WineHQ's implementation of oleaut32 is
not so complete yet.  It has the ability to use jpeglib and libgif to load
jpegs and gifs, and it knows about Windows bitmaps and icons.  Your image
is a PNG, and oleaut32 doesn't seem to handle those so far.

Here are some things you could do to test this:

1) Look for debugging output - when you run PowerPoint, is Wine
complaining with various oleaut fixme messages?  Especially about unknown
image types?

2) Try running powerpoint with a native Windows oleaut32.dll - put
the Windows oleaut32.dll in the windows/system directory that Wine knows
about, and then use a command line like
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="oleaut32=n" wine SOMETHING.EXE

3) Create a document that's the same, with the same image, but converted
to a JPEG or GIF or BMP first.

You could also use the native oleaut32 in general if it makes PowerPoint
work better.

- Walter