[Wine]Does a user need to join wine-devel?

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Mon Nov 15 13:55:55 CST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:42:49 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi,
>    I have run across a number of bugs with programs under Wine. I am a
> user and not a develope so to do my part I've been trying to be a
> faithful reporter and enter bugs I find in WineHQ's Bugzzilla and then
> wait for some sort of interaction from Wine developers. This works for
> Gentoo bugs, Ardour bugs, Alsa bugs, Xine bugs, etc., where I seem to
> get a response from a developer (in most cases) within about a day. So
> far I've had no interaction from Wine developers for anything I've
> entered. I do get a faithful response from Tony (I think) when I add a
> new application to the database and I am appreciative of that.
> (Actually I'm quite appreciative of Wine too, but it's just not as
> useful to me as I wished it would be.)

Yeah. The Wine community doesn't use Bugzilla much. IMHO it's not really
suited to this type of project.

>    Is this Bugzilla method the right way to move forward on getting
> things I would like to have fixed addressed? Or is there an
> expectation that I also have to join another list, like wine-devel, to
> get some attention for these issues?

Posting to wine-devel will definitely help. We don't bite ;)

However, bear in mind simply listing bugs doesn't do much. We are quite
capable of finding bugs in Wine ourselves, the main issue is who will fix
them? Generally if you can show that a bug is caused by a regression and
that it's caused by such-and-such a patch the developer of that patch will
sit up and take notice, and try and fix it. Otherwise you're reliant on
whoever happens to be around and have some spare time at that moment.

>    I found yet another example of an app that works in old wine
> versions and is broken in new wine versions yesterday. I'd be quite
> willing to trace down where it failed if that would lead to some
> attention to fix it from someone with the talents, but with no
> attention it starts to seem a bit pointless to document this stuff.

Posting regressions to wine-devel is definitely a good idea. Generally the
more recent the patch which caused the regression the more likely it is to
be fixed.

thanks -mike