[Wine] Edit Windows XP registry with wines regedit?

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Sun Oct 3 03:51:50 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Martin Bammer wrote:
> When I remove the Enum-key under hkey_local_machine then Windows redetects all
> hardware. So a reinstall would not be needed. Wine has a regedit. But I don't
> know how to tell wine that it uses the registry from the installed windows.

For sure it would not be needed, but as for Wines regedit I am not sure.
AFAIK, it can only read NT-system registry, but not write it.

> Would be a nice "recovery" feature for Linux to be able to edit windows
> registries, because a defective registry is often a problem in windows...

You can always try using Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.  It uses
console UI and is more of command line editing, but whatever [1].

BTW, you or someone else can try merging both the ntreg library [1] and
Wine registry editor code to make a GUI tool to suffice your needs.  I
hope there would be no license [2] collisions.

[1] http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
[2] http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/COPYING.txt