[Wine]Native 9x and config

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 8 09:08:55 CDT 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 06:18:08 -0500, you wrote:

> All,
>
> Anyone willing to share a .wine/config that's working with a 9x install?

No magic here. Just link your ~/.wine/dosdevices/c: to where the windows
partition is mounted. You must have r/w permission and any other drives
under windows (d:, e: ...) should be available under wine under the same
letters.

> I've been playing around, even blowing away the win98 slice and
> installing it from scratch, but when running wineboot, I still get 10-15
> crashes to the debugger.

Looks like you are successful. Wineboot uses the windows registry to run
services, startup programs, drivers that don't work (and don't need to
work) in wine. Running wineboot like:
"env WINEDEBUG=+wineboot wineboot" will show you what it is trying to
do.

> So far, about all I can run is notepad
> sucessfully.

You are not telling what not.

> The ironic thing is, if I use just wine, I have much fewer problems, but
> would like to be able to use a number of native dlls for the areas that
> are still being worked on.

That is probably true and points to the recommended way of running wine:
run it without windows, copy the files that you need over to your Linux
setup.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes