[Wine]Wine question - sort of... program that ran now crashes

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 12:20:31 CDT 2004

Hi,
   I run Gentoo on my audio box and for the last few weeks have been
using a fairly complex setup that uses Wine-20040505. In this
environment I am able to run small Windows apps called 'VSTs' under
Wine and using Jack for pretty much real time audio performance. It
had been working very well.

   From a Linux perspective the signal flow looked a bit like:

Rosegarden->jack_fst>Ardour

and jack_fst wraps around a Widows program called 'Battery'.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?battery_us

(FYI - NI is just now updating to Battery 2. They don't seem ot have a
link for the older Battery, but at the GUI level they look pretty much
identical.)

As I said, for the last few weeks this has all run wonderfully. No
problem at all until sometime in the last week. My quandary is that
NONE of the direct programs used

Wine-20040505
Jack
jack_fst
rosegarden
ardour

were updated or changed in any way, but suddenly I cannot run the
program and get error messages like this:

flash mark $ jack_fst /home/mark/c/Program\ Files/Vstplugins/Battery.dll

err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2
(repeated many times)
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2
err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 668 bytes in thread 0009 eip
b786a93e esp 7fc40d64 stack 0x7fc40000-0x7fd40000
thread exiting
Segmentation fault
flash VST $

I am attaching a small file that lists everything that's changed on
the system in the last two weeks. I am highly confident that the
program was used as late as Oct. 7th or 8th. It may have been used as
recently as the 11th, but I'm not sure. Wine itself is built from
source code and not from portage.

QUESTION: Why should anything emerged in the last few weeks effect a
set of programs that are already built and running?

I'm not a programmer and do not understand anything about what Wine
uses or how an update could disturb things that are built and workign
correctly.

In trying to fix things I have now rebuilt everything I know about
above, plus a few more things, but I continue to get the same error
message. I've also tried Wine-20040914 as of last evening and get the
same error message.

What can I do to figure out what changed and get back to working correctly?

Thanks,
Mark