[Wine]Wine question - sort of... program that ran now crashes

Yury Tarasievich grog at grsu.by
Sat Oct 16 07:22:50 CDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> I have been doing some things this morning which lead me to believe I
> don't know how to run multiple versions of Wine correctly. What I have
> been doing is this:
>
> (Please don't mix this with my other Wine questions about Quicken.
> That's a different environment and not part of this audio work)
>
> 1) Set up two source code directories
> wine-20040505
> wine-20040914
>
> 2) configure and compile wine in each directory
>
> 3) Run make uninstall in the one I want to remove and make install in
> the one I want to use
>
> 4) Now 'wine --version' shows the correct version number
>
> Now, my question comes down to how do I handle the .wine directory?
Is the WINEPREFIX variable available in wine 20040505? If so, you can
make as many wine environments as you like. If not, then use regular
$HOME/.wine for 20040505 and other dirs for other versions. You can even
spare yourself uninstall/installing if you'd configured-compiled one of
the wines with --prefix=/special/path and adding this /special/path to
the heads of PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a wrapper script.