[Wine]Wine question - sort of... program that ran now crashes

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 12:25:27 CDT 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:28:23 -0700, Duane Clark <dclark at akamail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Now, my question comes down to how do I handle the .wine directory?
> > The The 20045050 version requires a config file, but it also seems to
> > accept links placed in th dosdevices direcotry. I say this because if
> > I run 0505 with no .wine/config file winecfg won't run. On the other
> > hand, the 20040914 version seems to go the direction of don't use a
> > config file unless you find you need it.
> >
> > But what about installed applications? Where should they be placed? If
> > I install an app, like Battery, under 0505, then do I need to remove
> > the .wine directory to correctly move to 0914? Seems like I wouldn't
> > want to leave the config file, the registery files, and everything
> > else there since they are afrom a different rev. However, if I remove
> > them then I have to reinstall apps.
> >

> There is nothing that you need to do. You should have no problems
> switching between those two versions of Wine. The newer version will
> simply ignore entries in the config file that it no longer uses. And the
> older version will ignore entries in the registry files it does not use.
> There is no need to reinstall apps.

?????

If I'm running the older version and I have a .wine directory in
place, and then I attempt to run the new version, what happens? Does
it modify the olf version's registry??

If I start with the new version and then try to run the old version,
does it automatically install old version entries into the config
file???

Sorry. Guess I'm stupid but I feel this is not obvious. You say it
doesn't matter. I have no reason to disbelieve you. I just don't know
what to trust to happen automatically, and what I have to set up by
hand.

> You say "I have been doing some things this morning which lead me to
> believe I don't know how to run multiple versions of Wine correctly".
> But you don't mention what it was you are seeing.

Well, the problem is in my original email. A long list of this error.

err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2
(repeated many times)
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0xb7942bd2

It worked earlier. I did some system updates which in the end included
things like glib, glibc and xorg. These changes were supplied by their
versions going stable in Gentoo's portage. I backed out of xorg and
went back to the old version until I understand this. I've jsut backed
out of glib and glibc.

> As much as I dislike mentioning it, have you tried rebooting?

Yes. Not a problem. It's a laptop that boots 2-3 times a day anyway.
Didn't help.

My real issue, I think, is that some file in the list I supplied
earlier broke either wine or jack_fst. I don't understand why that
should happen.

I've now messed with this for 48 hours and am quite bummed out.