[Wine]Desktop Icons

John Wildberger wildberger at cogeco.ca
Tue Oct 19 19:47:31 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 05:09 pm, Holly Bostick wrote:

> Some programs, when run under Wine, choke when they are not started from
> their home directory. Some don't care. It's a matter of trial and error
> to find out which is which, but apparently Freecell is one of the ones
> that cares.
>
> The solution to this is to write a short script to cd to the home
> directory, then start the app.
>
> In this case, it would go like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd .wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles/Freecell # (because any terminal begins in
> your home directory already)
> wine freecell.exe
>

> Save that as freecell.sh, make it executable and save it in /home/john.
>
> You can then make your Link to Application point to
> /home/john/freecell.sh and use the link to start the app.

The script was an excellent idea. Also the 'Link to Application' worked and I
got the program running.
However, there is a problem with this approach. If you want to use the same
procedure for a second program you are out of luck. There seems to be only
one program permitted with the 'Link to Application'.
To overcome this I used the ManuDrake to add the program to the menu and then
draged it to the desktop. You can do this for as many programs as you like.
It also permits you to choose a suitable Icon from the Icon pool.

As always, there are more than one way to do things in Linux. Another
alternative to launch a program was via an alias that I placed into
/etc/profile.d/alias.sh   For my chess program it looked like this:
alias chess="cd /home/john/.wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles/CClient; wine Cclient"
The program is started by typing "chess' at the command line.

> Although.... how come your Program Files is ProgramFiles, and not
> Program\ Files (or something with the space? That might be your problem
> right there... is that the correct path?
I deliberately changed this to get rid of the annoying space.
You can change this to anything you like. Wine does not care.
John