[Wine]Wine Installshield and Sketchup

Nick Davies nick at lasventajas.com
Thu Oct 21 03:47:19 CDT 2004

Hi,

First post so apologies if I get the etiquette wrong.

I'm attempting to install Sketchup, (excellent Mac and Win 3d sketching
software), under Wine 20040914 and InstallShield with no Win partition. I'm
running SuSE, kernel version 2.6.5-7.108.  I have installed dcom98.exe and
my .dlls are set as follows:

"oleaut32"     = "builtin, native"
"ole32"        = "builtin, native"
"comdlg32"     = "builtin, native"
"shell32"      = "builtin, native"
"shfolder"     = "builtin, native"
"shlwapi"      = "builtin, native"
"shdocvw"      = "builtin, native"
"advapi32"     = "builtin, native"
"msvcrt"       = "native, builtin"
"mciavi.drv"   = "native, builtin"
"mcianim.drv"  = "native, builtin"
"d3drm"        = "native, builtin"
"d3dxof"       = "native, builtin"
"dpnhpast"     = "native, builtin"

I have both stdole*.* files in my fake c:\windows\system directory.

Initially I had very little success, install hanging pretty quickly with error
message:

Error Code:	-5009 : 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>Kernel\TextSubstitution.cpp (368)
>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (163)
>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (384)
>Kernel\Component.cpp (1161)
>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (384)

After a bit of googling I discovered that InstallShield running under Managed
mode might cause a problem so I switched to Desktop mode and got a very short
distance further:

Error Code:	-5009 : 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>Kernel\TextSubstitution.cpp (368)
>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (163)
>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (384)
>Kernel\Component.cpp (1161)
>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (384)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1655)
pAPP:SketchUp
PVENDOR:AtLast Software
PGUID:9421EB49-B1C8-496F-A307-FF0E4F43E6F5
$9.1.0.429PAK
@Windows 98  A  (67766446) BT_OTHER 18118.16410

Google also tells me that Sketchup will run successfully under Wine with a Win
partition.  I don't know if that means anything but as I don't have Windows
anyway it's not much immediate help to me.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received,

Thanks in advance

Nick