[Wine]old Wine from CVS

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 17:36:02 CDT 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:52:34 -0700, Duane Clark <dclark at akamail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Wine is being called by jack_fst, so when jack_fst dies I assume that
> > Wine is cleaned up by Linux since it's a subprocess? If Wine had
> > segfaulted wouldn't jack_fst still be in memory, which I don't see?
> >

> Well, I did a bit of checking. I compiled fst/jack_fst, and ran it under
> an old version of Wine to check that things work and they seem to. I am
> using dfx_Scrubby.dll, whatever that does ;)

Boy - you're fast. most of us audio guys take days to get this stuff
up and running.

> Then I tried without making changes to the fst code, but with a current
> Wine, and I do see the crash.

OK, first I tried Crystall.dll, a synth I know works. I ran it under
20040505 stratight. It works. Then I ran it under GDB still on
20040505. The GUI never comes up. Don't know what that means. Here it
sits:

flash mark $ gdb jack_fst
GNU gdb 6.0
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) r vst_dir/Crystal/Crystal.dll
Starting program: /usr/bin/jack_fst vst_dir/Crystal/Crystal.dll
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
[New Thread -1217877856 (LWP 22589)]
[New Thread -1226290256 (LWP 22592)]

Been there for 10 minutes. No CPU usage. It's just sitting. Ctrl-C
won't break gdb. I have to just kill it.

Then I  uninstalled wine-20040505 and installed wine-20041019. Same
results. No forward progress, at least in the last minute or two.

One strange thing - it sounds like someone's trying to access my CDROM
once in a while...

> So then I executed it this way. First run jack_fst under gdb:
> gdb jack_fst
> Then at the gdb prompt, type
> (gdb) r dfx_Scrubby.dll
> That quickly crashed, as expected:
>
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/jack_fst dfx_Scrubby.dll
> [New Thread 1081888352 (LWP 9484)]
> [New Thread 1092565808 (LWP 9507)]
> [New Thread 1093618480 (LWP 9508)]
> [New Thread 1124731696 (LWP 9509)]

> [Switching to Thread 1081888352 (LWP 9484)]
> 0x4001c3f4 in jack_activate (client=0x80b8318) at client.c:1376
> 1376    {
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x4001c3f4 in jack_activate (client=0x80b8318) at client.c:1376
> #1  0x0804a4f6 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbfffdb54) at jfst.c:260
> #2  0x42015704 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
>
> The crash is within the jack library. Looking at line 1376, I see that
> this is:
> int
> jack_activate (jack_client_t *client)
> {
>         jack_request_t req;
>
>         /* we need to scribble on our stack to ensure that its memory
>          * pages are actually mapped (more important for mlockall(2)
>          * usage in jack_start_thread())
>          */
>
> Oops, I wonder if that is doing evil things with Wine.

Question - Do you have Jack installed and running?

I don't think the above comment is as evil as it might look. In the
context of how Jack works it uses FIFOs in memory to transfer audio
data from client to client. I think it uses /dev/shm type memory which
needs to be built into your kernel as far as I know. I have this
stuff. Do you?

On my system I can sit in gdb and I never get the gui for the VST. I
don't even get it for notepad:

flash mark $ gdb wine
GNU gdb 6.0
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) r notepad
Starting program: /usr/bin/wine notepad
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
[New Thread -1209415008 (LWP 26097)]
[New Thread -1209431120 (LWP 26100)]

Humm....not good~!!

- Mark