[Wine]mulit user system redirecting My Documents

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Fri Sep 3 21:52:09 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 12:09:08PM -0600, Jerry Buburuz wrote:

> New to wine here.
>
> I installed wine, my application is working.
>
> I allow all users to access "/usr/wine/.wine", I want to redirect
> "/usr/wine/.wine/fake_windows/My Documents" to a $HOME/My Documents. Is
> there a way I can do this? Is it as simple as adding a reg key?

This isn't an answer, but what about for each user, map a drive (say Y:)
as an emulated network drive to the $HOME/My Documents using a custom
config file in their ~/.wine directory, then softlink everything else in
/usr/wine/.wine to the ~/.wine directory.  (Softlinks, IIRC, can only be
created under root.)  Or write a shell script that allows you to
softlink My Documents for each user, such as creating a script that for
each users home dir, makes a ~/.wine, softlinks the config files and the
fake_windows folder (or it's content and assuming that your filesystem
supports it -- ext2/3 should); and then creates a link to the user's
$HOME/My Documents folder.  That might work.

I can't think of how anyone would make a registry key would do this --
most PCs are either single user machines ( they have two accounts, one
normal user, and one root ) or multi user machines, and that either way,
have personal ~/.wine directories.

> Therefore when a user executes the windows app, and browses to "My
> Documents" they see a folder in the home UNIX directory.

Sounds like an ingenious concept, I wonder why it wasn't thought of it
before. However, setting up wine a certain way, ends up softlink mapping
.wine/dosdevices/y: (or similar) to $HOME for the users anyways.

Wasn't $HOME (/home/<user>) supposed to be Linux's equivilant of a My
Documents folder?