[Wine]Wine

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Mon Sep 6 19:09:51 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 09:10:25AM -0500, Joshua Rogers wrote:
> You might want to try and download an application called WineSetuptk.  After

IIRC, It's worth nothing that WineSetuptk is deprecicated (meaning it
doesn't exist for newer versions) and no longer supported, and although
you can't download it from wineHQ anymore, your distro (FC2) may or may
not have some old rpms/packages with it.  (My distro, Debian,
distributes in one version 2 year old wine packages, and in others, 6
and 1 month old packages.)

I believe the replacement is called WineConf or WineConfig or something,
although I have no experience with it yet and have no idea how to use it
whatsoever - someone else should be able to help you there.

However, be warned that WineSetuptk-supported packages are ancient code,
that maybe 40% or 60% or 80% of the apps supported now (in the last
release and/or CVS) won't run in your wine setup.  As such, if you come
back to this list to report the error, and tell us what version you're
using, you may end up being told to upgrade to the last release and/or
CVS.

> you download it, install it.  Then type winesetup as a restricted user.  It
> will bring up a nice GUI to let you make your choices and take care of all
> the scripting on its own.
>
> Josh
>
> On Monday 06 September 2004 05:24 am, pe wrote:
> > I am running linux (FC2) & win XP and believe that you can't configure
> > Wine for an NT installation,

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a can't; It's a shouldn't.  Avoid
doing this using a native NTFS partition, because NTFS read/write
support hasn't been stabalized, and even though you *could* enable it in
the kernel (not sure about wine) it would be extemely dangerous, and you
could end up wiping out your XP partition altogether.

> > however, I am of the understanding that I
> > do not need a licensed and installed copy of DOS or MS Windows to
> > install, configure and run Wine.

Technically, no.  However, having the licence / dual boot is very handy,
since that means you're legally allowed (I think) to download MS dlls,
progs, etc.  (i.e. IE, DCOM98, etc.) that have recently been referred to
has "OS Components", for use on that same pc.  (Note: I'm not a lawyer,
so I'm not 100% sure.)

> > Given the fact that I do NOT have a DOS partition, where do I
> > incorporate the following script in order to successfully run Wine.
> >
> > [Drive C]
> >           Path=/var/lib/wine

Make a directory on a linux read/writeable filesystem  (you can use
FAT32 if you're okay with "FAT permissions" being allocated only to the
mounting user; root if automounted via fstab, or you can use ext2/3 if
you don't mind the fact that case sensitivity and permissions may cause
your program to not work exactly right if incorrectly set up) with base
windows directory structure, i.e:  (Note, this is a W98-style setup,
since that, I think, is the default in wine...)

C:\My Documents
C:\Program Files
C:\Windows
C:\Recycled
C:\Temp
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Fonts
C:\Windows\Favorites
C:\Windows\System
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
etc.

whereas on the linux fs, replace \ with /, and replace c:\ with ( for
example, /var/lib/wine, /home/user/.wine/fake_windows, etc. ).

> >           Type=hd
> >     [wine]
> >           Windows=c:\windows
> >           System=c:\windows\system
> >           Temp=e:\

BTW, this line implys you have something mounted on e: - you know that,
right?  I'd suggest something like mounting e: as the system wide temp
dir, i.e /tmp or /var/tmp .