[Wine]Pb with Installshield (Dragon Naturaly Speaking) : not enough room on system drive

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Mon Sep 6 19:39:45 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:40:36AM +0200, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> Dear Michael,
>
> Thank you for your answers !
>
> michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 03:27:25PM +0200, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> >
> >>Hi !
> >>
> >>I'm trying to install Dragon Naturally Speaking in a WINE "fake windows"
> >>setup, and I have troubles with InstallShield.
> >>
> >>I tried this a while ago (with wine 20031212) and had *partial* success :
> >>The app installed, by I had trouble with the character set settings and

I guess that installing with 20031212 and then upgrading to 2004-07 to
run it wouldn't be an option, eh?

> >Set up in environment variables, IIRC KDE has a way to configure this in
> >it's control panel, but I don't use KDE, so...
>
> The problem was iso8859-1 vs utf8. Solved.
>
> >>botched the voice training, 'cause I couldn't read the screen ...
> >

> >Maybe your resolution wasn't a good one.
>
> Resolutioon was OK but a lot of characters were lost (replaced by "?").

Ah.  (Let me see if I remember my french correctly...)

Est-ce que possible qui vous ordinateur ne aimer pas (- ne fait pas
aimer?  pardon, je n'ai pas le francais bon... -) les lettres avec les
accents?  Ou les lettres dans le "character set" de francais?

Is it possible that your computer didn't/doesn't like the letters with
(french) accents?  Or the letters in the french character set?

If I recall correctly, it's not uncommon for french characters to show
up in consoles as "?" when they're in a different character set or not
supported.  Oddly, aren't you able to type most, if not all, characters
required in french with iso8859-1?

> >>I reinstalled a new machine recently (the previous one died due to a
> >>failing power supply ...). Wine is now 20040716. I managed to install
> >>Office 2000 (and IE6, which is needed for MS Access ...), along with a
> >>couple other apps, working *great*. Note : yes, I *did* install DCOM98.
> >

> >Maybe you'll need proper InstallShield runtimes?
>
> Isn't that provided by the installer ?

Theoretically, yes, but in and of itself, that's known to cause
problems; i.e. the dlls or exes provided by the installer's runtime
don't properly work with wine, or confuse wine...

> >                                                 Or maybe you need
> >command line dll overrides.
>
> None. See .config file for permanent DLL overrides.

This relates to the above question -- IIRC, built in dlls in the
installer's InstallShield runtimes sometimes automatically override your
DLL decisions in .config, whether you want to or not, and this is worked
around using dll override command line switches or environment
variables.  I'm not 100% sure though.

> >                            You can also try Wine 20040813, or current
> >CVS.  And are you using binary 20040716, or build from source?  And what
> >kind of distrobution are you using (if any)?  (Red Hat, Fedora, SuSe,
> >Debian, etc.)
>
> 20040716 as packaged in Debian. Kernel is 2.6.6

Ah.  Yes.  I haven't gotten that to work yet... still trying to figure
out my own kernel, before attempting wine 2004-07/2004-08. Maybe try
building from winehq source or CVS?  Or you can try downgrading to the
2004-06 or whatever package they have in testing, and then re-upgrading
afterwards?  Why does it take so long for a wine release to get to
unstable, anyways? *shrugs*

> >>However, any time I try to install Dragon Naturally Speaking, I stumble
> >>on the fact that InstallShield is unable to see the free space on the
> >>system "disk" : according to the log, Wine reports -1 Mb free, while
> >>Dragon tells it needs 40 Mb. Therefore, InstallShield aborts the
> >>installation.

I have no other ideas.

> >How much free space *is* on the Wine directory's partition?
>
> About 1,9 Gb (/home is under /) :

This won't kill anyone, but the english speaking as far as I know use
the opposite comma (,) and period (.) then the french in numbers -- in
US, it's 1,000,000.05 ; in french, that would be something like 1 000
000,05 or 1.000.000,05 or something.  Then again, many people here
probably don't use english as their first language.

> charpent at yod:~$ df
> Sys. de fich.        1K-blocs       Occup? Disponible Capacit? Mont? sur
> /dev/hdb3             16516084  13773096   1903996  88% /
> tmpfs                   518312         0    518312   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hdb2             16516084  14808700    868392  95% /mnt/hdb2
> /dev/hda1             25181852   6528628  18653224  26% /mnt/hda1
> /dev/hdb5             16516052   9240592   6436468  59% /mnt/hdb5
> /dev/hdb6             25276760  15604568   8388200  66% /mnt/hdb6
> /dev/sda1             32566536   2046560  28865688   7% /mnt/hde1
> /dev/sda2             32558532  17012720  13891924  56% /mnt/hde2
> /dev/hdc                368838    368838         0 100% /cdrom
>
> >                                                             ext2/3
> >(among other fs) "reserve" some free space for the root user, in case of
> >emergancies, but that takes away from the users.  Try reporting the
> >results of "df", and/or "df -h".
> >
> >Finally, you didn't include any error messages reported by *wine* in and
> >of itself.
>
> None relevant :
>
> charpent at yod:~$ wine /cdrom/SETUP.EXE
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA cannot set text "InstallShield Wizard" of other
> process window (nil)
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA cannot set text "Installation de
> NaturallySpeaking" ofother process window (nil)
> fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit task modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.
> Wine exited with a successful status

How odd.  I would have expected more.  Some sort of warn, maybe?

> >            Try running it from the console and either directing it's
> >output to a file (just like DOS, use the ">" redirector) or use a
> >logging program like tee ( "wine <command> | tee <filename>" should do
> >it).  You can also try debug channels.
> >

> >>Has anyone any idea on how to pass this ? The relevant files are PS'd to
> >>this message.
> >>
> >>BTW : Any exeriences/successes/failures with Dragon Naturally Speaking ?
> >>That's the one application I miss on Linux : since IBM botched its
> >>earlier attemps to port ViaVoice on modern Linuxes and withdrawed it, no
> >>one has
> >

> >Were they trying to port binaries?
>
> Native SR libraries + Java user interfaces. That mostly worked (and still
> works) in English, but I've been unable to use the relevant French language
> files from Windows version. And since I'm french and work mostly in french

Maybe different file formats?  Maybe line ending problems with
converting?  (CR/LF; LF or something problems between Windows/Linux?)

Unfortunately, French (translations) often come(s) after English, if
it/they come(s) at all.

> >                                    It's almost impossible to create
> >universal binaries for linux, if I recall correctly.  Very few linux
> >systems are identical, or even use the same sound system, configuration
> >formats, packaging systems, etc. etc.
> >

> >>(yet) created a working VR package ...
> >

> >The point of open source... hopefully someone will develop one soon.
>
> Unlikely : an SR system needs *HUGE* linguistic data, and is a very hard
> nut to crack. See for example Sphinx ...

I see... not to mention the immense time and funding... and the
unlikelyhood of someone trying to develop this (linguistic data for use
in a SR system) over the Internet via conventional open-source means...

> >Problem?  They have to work through ALSA or OSS (which audio system),
> >not to mention deal with different PC configurations, and then work on
> >the actual engine of the VR.
>
> That's the least of the problem...

Point(s) taken.

I don't know what else there could be, as I haven't tried this myself.
Good luck to you.

> 					Emmanuel Charpentier

--Michael Chang