[Wine]DvdRemake doesn't start: X error

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Tue Sep 7 18:40:03 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 12:27:50PM -0500, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Michael Chang wrote:
> > Is it at all possible that you don't have enough memory, swap, or free
> > disk space to run this application?  Maybe you have bad memory?  Maybe
> > your window manager doesn't work well with wine?
>
> i have over 700 MB of memory, i think 1 GB of swap, and many GB of space
> left on my hard drive.  i'm using an ATI radeon 9700 pro, which is pretty
> buff for dealing with 2D X stuff.  i've tried running the program in
> "unmanaged mode" which to my understanding takes the window manager out of
> the picture.
>
> i've also tried running it on two seperate machines (fedora core 1 w/ nvidia
> card and fedora core 2 w/ ATI card) because i read somewhere that fedora
> core 2's X implementation has some issues.
>
> i even subscribed to transgaming and tried cedega.  success!  cedega runs
> it!  but when i try to open a file, it crashes in comdlg32 in a function
> like "getsavefilename" or something like that.  a thought comes to mind:
> why is "getsavefilename" being called when i'm using an "open file" dialog?

Depends on the implementation of the code in the game.  In some programs
(-I recall that Game Maker 5/6-based games (a PASCAL game-making
utility) this applies-) you can use the Load/Save File Dialog/Functions
to get filenames for use in loading and/or saving files interchanably,
probably.

> i tried using native comdlg32 and it crashes as soon as the open file dialog
incompatable native comdlg32?
> appears.  with the built in comdlg32, it crashed when i would select a file
> with the open file dialog.

incomplete built-in spec or stub, maybe?  ask wine-devel about this.
It's worth noting that winehq and cedega are in ways seperate, IIRC.

How about searches on google?  Do those amount to anything?

Someone else, take over?  I don't think I'm really qualified to answer
this question.