[Wine]Can't Get Internet Explorer Help to Work After July "Snapshot"

Dan McGhee farmerdan at i-rule.net
Sun Sep 12 10:13:32 CDT 2004

My main project is to get a video capture and editing application, Edit
Studio 4, working in wine.  As I was testing it, I discovered that it
requires the help engine of Internet Explorer to implement its help
functions.  The following discussion describes what happens or happened
today and in the July snapshot of wine.

I used Mike Hearns "install-ie6.sh" script" to install Internet
Explorer.  This script made the following additions to .wine/config:

> # Appended by Mikes IE Setup Script
> [AppDefaults\\iexplore.exe\\Version]
> "Windows" = "win98"
>
> [AppDefaults\\iexplore.exe\\DllOverrides]
> "mshtml" = "native, builtin"
> "shfolder" = "native, builtin"
> "shell32" = "native, builtin"
> "shell" = "native, builtin"
> "shdocvw" = "native, builtin"
> "shlwapi" = "native, builtin"
> "urlmon" = "native, builtin"
> "crypt32" = "native, builtin"
> "wininet" = "native, builtin"

During the install I get the following error in a windows message box:
"Error while reading the help file WINDOWS.HLP"

and, without any dll manipulation, when I tried to select "Contents and
Index" from the Help from the drop down menu I get the following warning
in an "X Wine" message box:

"HTML Help functionality is currently unimplemented.

Try installing Internet Explorer, or using a native hhctrl.ocx with the
Mozilla ActiveX Control"

I learned that by adding:

"oleaut32" = "native,builtin"
"hhctrl.ocx" = "native,builtin"

to the .wine/config AppDefaults for IE enabled Internet Explorer help.
These changes to AppDefaults also enabled the "help" in Edit Studio.

 From now on my discussion applies only to changes to wine after the
July snapshot.

In further testing of Edit Studio, I learned that it relies on the
"Listview" control of IE.  It was during this time that I saw on the
developers mailing list some work occurring in this area.  I then
started updating wine from cvs on a regular basis to incorporate these
changes.  I put this fact in because I didn't re-install wine for some
time and therefore, without doing some regression, don't know when the
following symptoms started, but it was after 20040716.

Now when I install, fresh, IE into a fresh install of wine--update from
cvs, use ./tools/wineinstall, Mike Hearn's script, install DCOM98,
install Windows Installer, make my additions to AppDefaults for
iexplore.exe--I select "Contents and Index" from Help drop down menu,
and nothing happens.  (By the way, I use the default .wine/config on a
"fake windows" that wine creates.  I use the default DllOverrides in the
config file and import those dll's marked as native from an ME
installation on my PC.  I also import ole32,olepro32,oleaut32 and rpcrt4.)

The messsages I get, when I make this mouse selection, are :

trace:loaddll:load_dll Loaded module
L"C:\\windows\\system\\hhctrl.ocx":native
fixme:win:GetProcessWindowStation (void): stub
(this fixme is repeated twelve more times)
fixme:hook:IsWinEventHookInstalled (32773)-stub!
fixme:hook:NotifyWinEvent (32778,0x10064,0,0)-stub!

The only "err" messages I get come in the following sequence while IE is

trace:loaddll:load_dll Loaded module
L"C:\\windows\\system\\BROWSEUI.dll":native
fixme:actctx:CreateActCtxW stub!
err:shell:ReadCabinetState Initializing shell cabinet settings
fixme:actctx:ActivateActCtx stub!
trace:loaddll:load_dll Loaded module
L"C\\windows\\system\\browse.dll":native
trace:loaddll:load_dll Loaded module L"C:\\windows\\system\\shdoclc.dll:
native
err:rebar:REBAR_WindowProc unknown msg 200b wp=00000000 lp=71180f00
(there are then a number of other fixme's that may or may not be
relevant to this discussion, but I can supply them if necessary)

I cannot say that these error messages did or did not occur when I was
able to access the IE Help before.  I wasn't paying that close attention
then.

Additionally, after installing Mozilla AdtiveX Control v1.7.1 I can get
neither IE or Edit Studio to load.  I "comment out" "mshtml" =
"native,builtin" in the AppDefaults for IE then run IE as I normally
do.  I see the Mozilla stuff loading, the IE window appears for just a
second, it disappears, and the console waits as it normally does, but I
have no window.

There is, however, an err message in the following sequence (these are
the last four lines before the console starts "waiting"):

trace:loaddll:load_dll Loaded module
L"c:\\windows\\system\\midimap.drv":builtin
err:animate:ANIMATE_WindowProc unknown msg 0467 wp=71000000 lp=00000100
fixme:shell:SHFlushClipboard stub
fixme:shell:SHELL32_DllCanUnloadNow (void): stub

Edit Studio will not even load trying to use the Mozilla Control.

My goal is to get the Help functional again so that I can continue my
testing with Edit Studio.  My experience in these matters is that the
cause is "operator error" in the form of oversight or lack of
knowledge.  I don't know whether or not this situation rises to the
level of a bug report.

Does anyone have any fixes to the situation that I have described?  Has
anyone had success with the Mozilla Control?  Does anyone have a
combination of native and builtin dll's that I could try?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Dan