[Wine]To su or not to su

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 12:33:10 CDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 9:05 AM, Robert Yu <bobbyyu3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the answer, James.

No problem, but make sure to cc wine-users so that everyone can learn
from each other.

> 1. What if I want the program to be available for all users? Can I su
> as root then? Or do I need to have the program installed for ever user
> in the list?

I've never had to use this scenario since I'm a single user, but I
would have to guess that each user would have to have the program
installed in their local wine drive_c.

> 2. If the C:\ directory is indeed in /home/username/.wine/drive_c, can
> I look anywhere in /home/username while I'm in a Windows program or
> should I put the file in /home/username/.wine/drive_c if I can to
> view/use it?

In .wine/dosdevices there are symbolic links that point to virtual
"devices" for wine.  Z:\ usually  maps to the root director /, so if
you want to access anything outside of C:\ you can use Z:\.  Generally
you should use .wine/drive_c with windows programs though so you don't
have to look through the unix file system for a file.

--
James Hawkins